PET DNA TEST
Book an at-home pet DNA test online or call us on 1300 34 35 80
Pawssum provides pet care by trusted, local vets in the comfort of your home
Open 365 days, 7:30am-10:30pm Australia wide and NZ
As pet owners, we all want to provide the best possible care for our furry friends. One important aspect of pet care is understanding their genetic makeup and potential health risks. Pawssum’s mobile veterinary DNA tests allow pet owners to learn more about their pet’s genetics from the comfort of their own home. With a simple swab, mobile vet DNA testing can provide valuable insights into your pet’s ancestry, potential health risks, and more.
THE BENEFITS OF A PET DNA TEST
Mobile vet DNA testing is a convenient and accessible way for pet owners to gain valuable insights into their pet’s genetic makeup. Here are some benefits of mobile vet DNA testing:
- Identify potential health risks: DNA testing can help identify genetic problems that may predispose your pet to certain health conditions. This information can help you take proactive steps to manage your pet’s health and prevent potential health issues from developing.
- Determine breed ancestry: Mobile vet DNA testing can help you determine your pet’s breed ancestry, which can be particularly useful if you have a mixed breed dog or an animal with unknown parentage. This information can also help you understand any breed-specific behaviors or health risks that may apply to your pet.
- Personalized nutrition and exercise plans: With knowledge of your pet’s genetic makeup, you can tailor their nutrition and exercise plans to their individual needs. For example, if your pet has a genetic predisposition to obesity, you can adjust their diet and exercise regimen accordingly.
- Understanding behavior and personality: Certain genetic markers can influence your pet’s behavior and personality. By understanding these markers, you can gain insight into your pet’s behavior and potentially address any behavior issues.
- Better healthcare decisions: Armed with the knowledge of your pet’s genetic makeup, you can make more informed decisions about their healthcare. For example, if your pet is predisposed to certain health conditions, you can be vigilant for signs and symptoms and bring them to your vet’s attention early on.
HOW DOES A PET DNA WORK
When a Pawssum vet performs a DNA test at home, they will typically collect a sample of the animal’s DNA using a cheek swab or blood sample. The sample is then sent to a laboratory for analysis.
The laboratory will use various techniques to extract the DNA from the sample and analyze it to identify the animal’s genetic makeup. This process can take several days to several weeks, depending on the complexity of the analysis.
Once the analysis is complete, the mobile vet will receive a report that provides information about the animal’s breed, potential health risks, and other genetic characteristics. The vet can then discuss the results with the pet owner and provide guidance on how to manage any health concerns or behavioral issues that may be associated with the animal’s genetic makeup.
Overall, DNA testing can provide valuable information for pet owners and their veterinarians, and the convenience of a mobile vet can make the process more accessible and less stressful for both pets and their owners.
The cost of an at-home microchipping by a Pawssum local vet is $189*.
* This service is in addition to a pet examination.
Compassionate and gentle
Dr. Beshoy was wonderful in helping us assist our Pug Nibbler across the rainbow bridge. Gentle and compassionate, he was very obviously sympathetic to our strong emotions on the day and he treated our boy like he was his own.… I cannot thank him enough, he made a day that was always going to be heartbreaking just that little bit more bearable. Read more “Compassionate and gentle”
Dr Julia was awesome
Easy booking process, great communication, and vet was able to attend quite quickly on a Saturday, even though it wasn’t an emergency. Our cat Storm has had some recent bad experiences at vet surgeries, which makes him very anxious and… a bit aggressive – we were recently told we would have to sedate him heavily to bring him in for a consultation. We booked a home visit with Dr Julia and it was amazing – he was very happy in his own environment, and just thought Dr Julia was giving him lots of cuddles. Dr Julia was very knowledgeable, kind & caring. She came up with some very helpful suggestions on how to proceed with his condition, and left me feeling very reassured. Read more “Dr Julia was awesome”
Dr Stuart was just so warm and kind to our elderly cats needs. We did end of like care for 4 weeks. He made sure she was comfortable. And returned on our request. So glad we found a vet service… that came to our home. Thanks so very much. R.I.P Ziva. Read more “Very compassionate.”
Genuine and Gentle
Pawsumms is the most wonderful service.
To have Dr Tamara come to our home took away the clinical aspect and it was a more relaxing experience for Ethan our 15 year old spoodle and our family . Dr Tamara… came out and watched Ethan for quite a while ,I had asked for her to come for a Quality of life assessment She had seen him a few times towards the end.
Sadly it was time to let Ethan pass.
I had asked for Dr Tamara there was no other vet I wanted at this incredibly sad time in our lives and am grateful that she was so patient and genuine. I’m so glad I chose a home passing it was also very special. Read more “Genuine and Gentle”
Highly recommend Dr Beshoy
Dr Beshoy was very patient and understanding with both my Rosie and myself. As hard as the process was to say goodbye, Dr Beshoy was able to give my much loved Rosie a very peaceful departure to doggie heaven.
Thoughtful and Kind
Dr Stuart was so compassionate and gentle during our quality of life assessment and then enabled us to provide a peaceful loving goodbye to our beloved Labrador, when the time was right. Highly recommend this service as a stress free… way for our pets to be offered quality care. Read more “Thoughtful and Kind”
Great come to you service!
Dr Kaitie was fantastic, really appreciated her coming to my home. She’s fantastic with cats, and was so gentle with mine. Showed me what I needed to do (with cat nail trimming, which I was worried about), and even had… my cat coming back for pats despite having just been vet poked and prodding. As a cat owner, you know your cat is okay if they’re accepting Hooman worship after the INDIGNITY of vet examination. My little black cat says “5 stars; would let her come in the house again (though hopefuly Dr Kaitie doesn’t need to come again any time soon)”. Read more “Great come to you service!”
Dr Stephen Bennet
I can not Praise Dr. Stephens Empathy and Love he showed to my Darling Puddah before she crossed over to Rainbow Bridge 🙁 …. he was EXCELLENT & Professional and made such a hard choice as easy as it could… be Read more “Dr Stephen Bennet”