PET BLOOD TEST
Book an at-home pet blood test online or call us on 1300 34 35 80
Pawssum provides pet care by trusted, local vets in the comfort of your home
Open 365 days, 7:30am-10:30pm Australia wide and NZ
Pawssum’s at-home blood test involves our veterinarian coming to your home to collect a blood sample from your pet. This is typically done by using a needle to draw a small amount of blood from a vein, usually in the animal’s leg or neck.
The collected blood sample is then analyzed by a laboratory to evaluate your pet’s overall health status, detect any underlying health problems or diseases, monitor the effectiveness of ongoing treatments, or evaluate your pet’s organ function.
Common blood tests that mobile vets perform at home include a Complete Blood Count (CBC), which measures the number and types of cells in the blood, and a Blood Chemistry Panel, which evaluates the levels of various chemicals and enzymes in the blood.
The benefits of having a mobile vet perform an at-home blood test include the convenience of not having to take your pet to a veterinary clinic, reduced stress and anxiety for your pet, and the ability to obtain results more quickly and efficiently.
Overall, an at-home blood test by a mobile vet can provide important information about your pet’s health, aid in early detection of potential health issues, and help to ensure that your pet receives appropriate care and treatment.
REASONS FOR PET BLOOD TESTS
There are several reasons why your pet might need an at-home blood test, including:
- Routine health screening: At-home blood tests can help to screen for underlying health issues or diseases, even if your pet is not showing any signs of illness. Regular screening can help detect early signs of illness and help you and your vet develop a proactive treatment plan.
- Pre-anesthetic testing: Before your pet undergoes any anesthesia for a surgical or dental procedure, your vet may recommend a blood test to assess your pet’s health status and determine if they are a suitable candidate for anesthesia.
- Monitoring ongoing health issues: If your pet is undergoing treatment for a chronic illness, such as diabetes or kidney disease, regular blood tests can help monitor the effectiveness of the treatment and adjust the treatment plan as necessary.
- Evaluation of organ function: Blood tests can provide important information about your pet’s organ function, including the liver, kidneys, and thyroid gland. This information can help your vet diagnose and manage various health conditions.
- Diagnosis of illness or disease: In some cases, blood tests may be used to diagnose specific illnesses or diseases. For example, a blood test can help diagnose anemia, heartworm disease, or tick-borne diseases.
INFORMATION DETECTED BY BLOOD TESTS
At-home pet blood tests can detect various illnesses and problems in pets. Some of the most common ones include:
- Diabetes: At-home blood glucose tests can help diagnose and monitor diabetes in pets.
- Liver disease: Liver function tests can indicate whether a pet’s liver is functioning normally or not.
- Kidney disease: Blood tests can measure the levels of creatinine and blood urea nitrogen (BUN) in a pet’s blood, which are indicators of kidney function.
- Anemia: Blood tests can detect low levels of red blood cells or hemoglobin, indicating anemia.
- Infections: Blood tests can identify the presence of bacterial or viral infections in pets.
- Thyroid problems: Thyroid function tests can indicate whether a pet has hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism.
- Allergies: Blood tests can measure a pet’s immunoglobulin levels to identify potential allergens.
If you suspect that your pet is ill or has a medical condition, it’s always best to consult with a veterinarian.
The cost of an at-home microchipping by a Pawssum local vet is $299*.
* This service is in addition to a pet examination.
Compassionate and gentle
Dr. Beshoy was wonderful in helping us assist our Pug Nibbler across the rainbow bridge. Gentle and compassionate, he was very obviously sympathetic to our strong emotions on the day and he treated our boy like he was his own.… I cannot thank him enough, he made a day that was always going to be heartbreaking just that little bit more bearable. Read more “Compassionate and gentle”
Dr Julia was awesome
Easy booking process, great communication, and vet was able to attend quite quickly on a Saturday, even though it wasn’t an emergency. Our cat Storm has had some recent bad experiences at vet surgeries, which makes him very anxious and… a bit aggressive – we were recently told we would have to sedate him heavily to bring him in for a consultation. We booked a home visit with Dr Julia and it was amazing – he was very happy in his own environment, and just thought Dr Julia was giving him lots of cuddles. Dr Julia was very knowledgeable, kind & caring. She came up with some very helpful suggestions on how to proceed with his condition, and left me feeling very reassured. Read more “Dr Julia was awesome”
Dr Stuart was just so warm and kind to our elderly cats needs. We did end of like care for 4 weeks. He made sure she was comfortable. And returned on our request. So glad we found a vet service… that came to our home. Thanks so very much. R.I.P Ziva. Read more “Very compassionate.”
Genuine and Gentle
Pawsumms is the most wonderful service.
To have Dr Tamara come to our home took away the clinical aspect and it was a more relaxing experience for Ethan our 15 year old spoodle and our family . Dr Tamara… came out and watched Ethan for quite a while ,I had asked for her to come for a Quality of life assessment She had seen him a few times towards the end.
Sadly it was time to let Ethan pass.
I had asked for Dr Tamara there was no other vet I wanted at this incredibly sad time in our lives and am grateful that she was so patient and genuine. I’m so glad I chose a home passing it was also very special. Read more “Genuine and Gentle”
Highly recommend Dr Beshoy
Dr Beshoy was very patient and understanding with both my Rosie and myself. As hard as the process was to say goodbye, Dr Beshoy was able to give my much loved Rosie a very peaceful departure to doggie heaven.
Thoughtful and Kind
Dr Stuart was so compassionate and gentle during our quality of life assessment and then enabled us to provide a peaceful loving goodbye to our beloved Labrador, when the time was right. Highly recommend this service as a stress free… way for our pets to be offered quality care. Read more “Thoughtful and Kind”
Great come to you service!
Dr Kaitie was fantastic, really appreciated her coming to my home. She’s fantastic with cats, and was so gentle with mine. Showed me what I needed to do (with cat nail trimming, which I was worried about), and even had… my cat coming back for pats despite having just been vet poked and prodding. As a cat owner, you know your cat is okay if they’re accepting Hooman worship after the INDIGNITY of vet examination. My little black cat says “5 stars; would let her come in the house again (though hopefuly Dr Kaitie doesn’t need to come again any time soon)”. Read more “Great come to you service!”
Dr Stephen Bennet
I can not Praise Dr. Stephens Empathy and Love he showed to my Darling Puddah before she crossed over to Rainbow Bridge 🙁 …. he was EXCELLENT & Professional and made such a hard choice as easy as it could… be Read more “Dr Stephen Bennet”